Could having a Disorganized Home be bad for you? Yes. It can. How?
- Fire Hazard. Due to doorways blocked. Also, papers stacked up act like fire kindling.
- Clutter can also be a tripping hazard. Too heavy shelves can fall on someone.
- Cleaners and toxins left unkept and out can be dangerous for children and animals, by accidental ingestion.
- Clutter can attract pests.
- Unorganized clutter can also cause allergies, due to built up dust and grime.
- Causes Stress- Not only is an unkept disorganized home hazardous, but let’s look at how clutter can effect your mental health. In a study done by Princeton University proves it is hard to concentrate in a cluttered home. The mess can compete for your attention and cause decreased concentration and increased stress. Let me share an example in my own life. When I was just starting out as a professional organizer, all our kids were still at home. Our son is the oldest and pretty much had the whole “keep your space clean” thing figured out. But I had two girls under age 4. They loved to play, create and make a mess. I had rules in our playroom that they could not go in until it was clean and picked up. A- Becuase it would end up a giant mess. And B- I found that my kids were more creative, happy and got along better when there was order. Go figure! Toys had a home and were labled with fun bright pictures. Maybe. Just maybe had something to do with my mood and stress level. But not just that, our middle daughter, very creative and loved to make a mess, announced to me (she was about 4) “thank you Mama for cleaning up” on several occasions. My kids are much older now. They are not perfect at keeping their areas clean, we are far from a perfect family (I’ve relaxed alot too). They have the tools to pick up quickly because there are systems in every room in our home. It’s not about perfection (I had to learn this the hard way. Still learning.) it’s about creating order and harmony in your home. Maybe you need some help. Possibly coaching. You are not alone. Ask me how I can help, don’t wait. Now is the time!(click here) Reach out now
Another great article, how a disorganized home is bad for your health.
Happy New Year! As we embark upon a new year, do you feel the urge to get your home and life in order? But are you going about organizing the wrong way? Spinning your wheels but not moving forward. Here are a few Organizing Mistakes that make your house look messy, brought to you by HGTV. Are you making these mistakes? See how to avoid them.
(click here) HGTV Organizing Mistakes
Here’s my 2 cents that might just change your Life. Well. Ok. At least clean up your Home a bit:
- Have a “catch all” bin in each room. However. There are some rules. When the bin is full, clean out & put items away, starting from the bottom. Clean out at least 1/2 (Goal: clean out the whole bin the end of every month). And NEVER put important items or papers
- Each family member (household member) should have their own laundry basket, named & labeled. Also a good idea to have their own laundry day. From beginning to end, before bed, laundry is clean, folded & put away.
- So your ready to Organize a space (or you’ve had and you must do something about it. Now.). Get your Tools ready. Have a KEEP bin. A TRASH bag. A RECYCLING bin. A different color TRASH bag (to distinguish the difference) for DONATE. Pull out the large bulky items first and sort them. If they are very large (blankets, large toys, pillows and you are keeping) just put them away. It is much easier to have less to sort and visually see items when those large items are out of your way. Then sort the rest of items starting at a focal point. A door or window. Round your way back to that door or window, in a circle of sorts, touching all items needing organized. When you’ve sorted everything, put KEEP items away, put DONATE items in your car. Take TRASH & RECYCLING out.
Would you like to make it your Goal this year to be more organized? Is there a way to Organize your Home, once and for all, the entire house? YES! Monthly Group Goals (taking a little bit at at time) to help you do just that! We are in this together. Click here to check it out: Journey to an Organized Home
**Oh, maybe you need a little extra hands on help (or know someone who does). I make Housecalls. Call or message me for a Free no obligation consultation. Happy Organizing!